Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday Morning and something is missing

Coffee,check,Newspaper,check,........... What is it that I'm missing?
OOOh I know getting up and going downstairs to meet and talk with friends. I seem to always go through this kind of withdrawal after a conference. Indeed they do wear me out, but I meet some amazing people and strengthen my relationships with the people I already know. I wish in some way that others who struggle with mental illness could see the compassion and desire to change our system of care these people have.
What I mean by "these people" are the researchers, doctors, providers of care. They are often the ones that we feel don't get it and that they would rather write us a script and send us on our way. If you could see what I see you would understand that this is not the case. What I have seen at conferences is that they do want change, as much as we do. It seems that what is getting in the way is the politicians and the constrained budget. And I should make this very clear, NOT ALL politicians fall into this catagory.
This week I have met several who swim against the current and are fighting to protect our vunrable populations. Many of us who have had our lives changed recently due to budget cuts are mad, angry, confused and we have a right to those feelings. I just think that often they are directed at the wrong people. To make true change in our system of care we need to get involved so that those who are making the descions about budget cuts have a human face to look at and a real idea of how it impacts our lives. What is missing ...... a human face, someone who is willing to share their story, someone willing to get involved and to help those making choices in the legistation to see people with mental health challenges as people worth protecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment